More than enough studies have been conducted to prove that lead based paint is among the most common ways of adults and children to be affected with a lead poisoning. It is a fact that the lead-based paint is not available in the market commercially, but it can prove to be a problem for people living in houses, which were constructed in or before about 1960s. Basically, it was in the 1940s that this paint was available in the market immensely. In fact, in those times two thirds of the buildings constructed were painted with the lead-based paint as the lead was very useful as pigment for the alkyd paints and also as a proper drying agent. This trend persisted in the market for quite some time and this has resulted in the presence of this dangerous substance in a number of houses without the owners realizing it.
After a time, when the side-effects of this toxic lead based paint reached their limit the government banned the use of this paint while constructing buildings for human habitation. However, the buildings which were constructed earlier and have not been repainted or renovated nonetheless remain susceptible. The lead based paint basically tends to chip off, thereby producing lead dust which can easily enter our body subsequently resulting in the lead paint poisoning. This lead dust which is released in the air can enter the body while breathing and can even settle on the food surface and get ingested in the body. Therefore every person who is residing in that particular building is highly susceptible to the hazards of lead.
The effects of lead paint poisoning are similar to of the lead poisoning which has caused through drinking water. The effects are seldom fatal and may result in irrevocable and long-term damage. Also, children tend to be more at risk to long-term side effects due to lead paint poisoning. The symptoms caused by lead exposure to this toxic substance yields symptoms like chest pain, abdominal pain, nausea, insomnia and headaches. If, the exposure to lead dust caused by the lead based paint is prolonged then, adults may develop nerve damage and anemia. In children, the result of paint poisoning might be retaliation of the mental development, reduced attention span, lowered IQ levels and poor performance in their school.
If by chance your house is constructed in or before the 1960s then you should immediately get a lead paint test done. You can hire a certified professional so as to conduct testing for lead paint or you may even use lead paint test kits for the job. However, it is always advisable to hire a person who is trained for conducting a lead paint inspection in your house, as it has lots of risks associated with it. If your house is tested positive for the lead paint then make sure that the particular area is quarantined and nursing for pregnant women, children or adults having high blood pressure must be kept away from this area. Lastly, ensure that no drinking or eating is supposed to be done in this particular area.